Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Hello, And Welcome To YOTGR

Please allow me to introduce myself.  I'm a man of poverty and taste.

At least I hope I have taste.  I mean, I like old video games for one thing.  Scratch that . . . I love old video games.  I was just a kid during the days when Nintendo revitalized the video game industry after the Crash of '83, but after I got my teeth sunk into the games of that time, I also started to realize my love for games that were old even back then.  Classics like Pac Man and Galaga and Pong, who's popularity is still felt to this day, and who's arcade machines can still be found in pizza places across America.  And as I grew up, I still found myself drawn to the games of yesteryear, even when a particular yesteryear used to be a future and finally presentyear for me at some point.  To this day, I still consider the Super Nintendo era to have been the true Golden Age of Video Games, and have ever since I first played Super Mario World nearly two decades ago.

As I mentioned above, I am a man of poverty.  I'm not living on the streets or anything, but for most of my life money has been hard to come by.  As a result, I haven't been up to date with the latest gaming tech in several, several years.  Old games are basically all I get to play nowadays since they're all I can afford . . . and that doesn't really bother me in the least.  I may salivate just like everybody else over the newest, shiniest toy in the video game toybox, but I have learned great patience, secure in the knowledge that someday everything will become cheap enough that I can afford to play it.  Maybe not today, maybe not this year or even the next, but someday it will be mine.  In the meantime, I happily stick with the old stuff that still entertains me just as much - if not more in some cases - as the new junk.

And now I intend to help share that love of old games with my fellow internet denizens by playing and then reviewing them.  The games, that is.  Not the internet denizens.

"But what," you may ask, "constitutes an 'old' game, Jim?"  And rightly so.  Well, I'll tell you.

For the purposes of my reviews an old game is any that isn't on a current generation console.  That means that at the time of this writing, I will not be reviewing anything on the XBox 360, Playstation 3, Wii, DS, or the like.  Everything before all that is fair game.  Of course, computer games - which I also intend to review from time to time - may be a little more difficult to peg for some folks, but I'm just gonna say that if my currently-about-five-years-obsolete computer can't run it, I won't be reviewing it.

I hope everyone who passes this way enjoys reading my reviews, and that maybe - just maybe - I'll be able to help a few folks find some entertaining old gems that they'd never played before.

Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment